'St Dunstan’s – a thriving Christian school, guided by the Good Shepherd, founded on faith, inspiring the best in everyone'
For all members of our school family we celebrate:
excellent achievement and progress in all that we do
learning for life in all its fullness
Christian values alive within our school
being at the heart of our community
A BRIEF HISTORY
The Church has always taken a lead in education and in 1826 it founded, in Malden Road, a school to educate the children of the Parish of Cheam Village and Cuddington. In 1863, St Dunstan's Church started an infants' school in a cottage on the edge of Nonsuch Park, on the present Nonsuch High School site. In 1869 the infants moved to the Parochial Rooms in The Broadway. After a couple of years, while the boys transferred to a junior school, the older girls were retained with the infants, and the school became known as the Cheam and Cuddington Girls’ and Infants’ School. The Malden Road School became known as Cheam Junior Boys' School.
The girls and infants stayed in the Parochial Rooms until 1907 when they moved to a new building in Jubilee Road. In 1943 boys were allowed to stay on from the age of seven years to make it a mixed five to eleven primary school. The name St Dunstan's School was adopted in the 1950s.
The school was amalgamated with Cheam Junior Boys in 1989 and renamed St Dunstan's, Cheam, School. Construction of the new larger two-form entry building was started on the last day of October 1991. The foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Southwark in the following February and the building was completed in November 1992. The building was occupied in January 1993.
St Dunstan's Church and friends of the school raised money for the stained glass window that has been installed in the Entrance Hall. The window shows Christ as Wisdom with Dunstan at His feet and is based on a mid 10th century drawing believed to be from the hand of Dunstan when he was Abbot of Glastonbury.